In my Writers Workshop class we have been working on group projects for the last few weeks. We were able to pick any subject that we wanted. I was parted with three other Boys and we picked the topic of Mercury. Our full question is “How does the emission of Mercury impact the toxicity levels of water and our everyday life?” I guess you could say that the point of this blog post is for your responses. The problem is that we have to address a particular group of people, and we don’t know who to tell. I am going to give some of the information that we have received from researching and I just really want your comments on who you think that we should address.
To begin Mercury is the 80th Element on the Periodic Table. The symbol for Mercury is hg. Mercury is also the only metal that is liquid at room temperature. This substance can be found in things like coal. Now a Disadvantage of Mercury is that it can cause nervous system failures if large amounts of it are ingested. At times it can even cause death.
When Mercury gets into water small microbes absorb tiny fractions of it. Then comes a series of unfortunate events. The next thing to happen is a small fish comes and eats thousands of the microbes resulting in that fish being poisoned. Next a bigger fish will come and eat the smaller fish poisoning itself. Then a bigger fish eats the other bigger fish and is poisoned by the Mercury. This of course happens over and over again, but the fish that is impacted the most by Mercury poisoning would have to be the Tuna Fish. This occurs because tuna fish eat the most fish. This has to tie in to the last part of our question because the FDA (U.S Food and Drug Administration) has a limit on certain fish that women can eat. Tuna is one of the top fish that women are not aloud to eat. Another way that Mercury gets into the water is when coal is burned the mercury from the inside of the coal is released into the air and when it rains it falls into the water.The Dangers for pregnant women eating fish is extraordinary. First the Mercury will affect the mothers fetus, and it also can affect the mothers breast milk. This could lead to long -term brain issues. It can also cause birth defects such as hearing impairments and learning disabilities.
The notes that we have gotten so far really answer our question and help us better understand what Mercury Poison is and what it can do to you. Now the last thing is that we wanted to talk or share our message with High Schoolers and Junior High Students. Do you think that is the right group of people to talk to or do you think we should talk to adults and also in what form do you think we should present it. Comment to give your thoughts and opinions.